February 18, 2023 - September 17, 2024


February 18, 2023

Hello there! Thanks for visiting Desté's Caring Bridge site. Events of the last few days stunned and knocked the wind out of us, but the love and prayers of friends all over the world continue to buoy us up, encourage us, and warm our hearts. Thank you. We are creating this site in the hopes that we can keep you all better updated as to Desté's situation. It's pretty much impossible

LIsaPage Carter — 2/19/23
Wow, Linda and family! I just got onto FB after a long hiatus and saw this news of Desté’s health. I’ll be praying and trusting God to bring about his will and healing in His good timing! Praying that He works a miracle! Love you all! LP
Uncle mike
February 18, 2023
Uncle Mike, Aunt Karen and your cousins Mikey and Lance are praying for you everyday.
Rob and Celeste Lyman
February 18, 2023
We 
are praying for swift and complete recovery for Deste. Sending love and hugs.




February 18, 2023

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.

 

Well, hello there! Thanks for coming in to check on Desté. If you got here, then you know our son Desté is in the hospital. But you may be wondering what happened to get him here.

Here is the backstory: 

About 2 weeks ago, Deste woke up in the night very short of breath, coughing constantly, and with a super fast heartbeat. He felt terrible, like he might die. He came and woke us up and Tim listened to his respirations, we took his temp, gave him cough meds, and all those kinds of things. After a while, he felt well enough to sit in our recliner chair for the rest of the night, where he dozed off and on. This continued for a few days and then he started saying how badly his stomach hurt. He felt sharp pains near the bottom of his abdomen - the pain so intense that he couldn't really sit down or lie down, but had to more like stay in a leaned forward position and keep his head near his knees. Then he started vomiting and couldn't keep the smallest thing down - not even a sip of water. We took him to Urgent Care and were told by some super amazing nurses there that he needed to go to the hospital.  Once at the hospital, he was evaluated head to toe until the doctor found that the problem was his heart, which was "super enlarged". 

(Fun fact: According to SCIENCE™, it's only good to have a triple enlarged heart if you are the Grinch in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.)

At this point, the hospital folks arranged an ambulance ride for Desté and his mom and took us to Methodist Children's Hospital in San Antonio where an amazing team of doctors is treating him in the pediatric ICU for Dilated Cardiomyopathy.  Deste will be here for at least another week. And we don't know what things will look like after that. But like the saying goes,

"We don't know what the future holds, but we know Who holds the future."

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - from Romans 8

I set this up because I'm not able to update everyone and I'm hoping this will be a more efficient way to keep y'all updated and to request prayer. We do know so many are praying for Deste and we've already seen some amazing answers. God has made it clear that He is with us and He isn't going anywhere. We are in a pretty big storm right now, but it comforts us knowing He is in the boat with us. 

Hopefully, I can get Tim to give a doctor report with more details about Deste's situation later. Thank you all for your love, prayers, and concern.  More soon.  

Love, 

Linda

p.s. Many have asked how they can help. First and mostly, please pray for God to heal Deste's heart. We'd love to see a miracle! We will trust and accept whatever comes - good or "bad" - because we know our Heavenly Father loves us and is working for our good - but we are ASKING for a miracle, to have his heart return to a normal size and for full heart function to return. Hey, no harm in asking, right?

Secondly, and way less importantly - we get a tad hungry around here and as you all know, restaurant eating when out of town gets expensive. So there are links in the "how to help" section if you want to give to our eating out fund while we are here. Thanks so much to everyone. 

Kelly Dooley — 2/24/23
Praying for Deste and your wonderful family! Recruiting others! God heard our petition!
Monica Clayton — 2/21/23
Praying Linda!!! 💜
Lori Payne — 2/19/23
We’re praying for you guys! ❤️
Amy Neil — 2/18/23
Thank you for setting this up, Linda - There's a whole host of folks praying for you all in New England, DRC and Rwanda!
Howard & Debbie Oakes — 2/18/23
Howard Oakes will be in San Antonio this Tuesday. He would like to come by to see Desté during the middle of the afternoon if that’s alright. Please call him at 714.401.8813. He is an ordained pastor if that helps get him in ICU.
Armistead Grandstaff — 2/18/23
Deste, I have met you only twice but you are awesome and left such an impression on me. The Grandstaffs will be praying for you and your family. We love you ~ Armistead
Rachel Johnston — 2/18/23
Praying for Deste and you and Tim.
Laura Drane — 2/18/23
Praying BIG for Deste and for you & Tim!❤️ 🙏🏻❤️
Jenny Palmer — 2/18/23
Praying for Deste and your sweet family!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Rebecca Smith — 2/18/23
Praying for Deste and family.
Elisabeth Thomas — 2/18/23
We love you all!




February 18, 2023

February 18, 2023


February 18, 2023


February 19, 2023

From Hannah Berg:

My mom (Linda) got sick last night-- probably food poisoning from some bad tacos. She can't go to the icu or deste's room for 24 hours now. Right now Deste is sleeping and comfortable. He has been playing video games with Stephen and Sam a lot and enjoying that. He’s been in pretty good spirits and when the meds are working and he isn’t in pain he’s smiling and joking around with us. He is getting a little tired of being in the hospital and hooked up to so many lines and having to get his blood drawn! As any of us would be. But he has a good attitude about it. He is getting fluids and medication through IV and they're taking his blood to test every few hours. He's hooked up to a monitor that beeps if his heart rate gets too high or irregular, but sometimes it beeps in error because it's very sensitive. So there's a lot of beeping. He had some friends visit yesterday which was great and our cousin Amanda also visited. My sister will be coming into town tonight with Joseph and Noah since my brothers have to leave today. Hospital has given deste 3 medications for his heart and they seem to be helping some (heart rate has lowered some) but they need to keep monitoring to see if he will stabilize. He'll be in the hospital for 2 weeks at least. 
The Nolens
February 19, 2023
Love you guys and praying!!
Beth Palmer
February 19, 2023
We are praying for you!

February 19, 2023

https://youtu.be/-cMcsS2nOII

Clinging to the Rock of our Salvation today. 

Do you know how people often say, “When bad things happen to people, just say “i am thinking of you” or “I am so sorry” or “I am praying for you”, but they say, “Whatever you do, don’t go quoting Romans 8:28 at them!” 

Well, here’s a request from us. 

Please ignore that advice!!!

Right now, more than at normal or great times, we need to cling tightly to Jesus and to God’s word. The Bible is encouraging us so much right now. Thinking back on all He has done and looking forward at all He promises He will do - that is our lifeline right now. So, as promises or verses from God’s Word come to your mind, would you please comment on this post with those? With all we are facing, it is important for us to be reminded that our God is an ever present help in trouble. So please remind us! It will encourage us - a lot! Thank you. ❤️
Sally Ward — 2/20/23


Deste, please know that Uncle Bobby, Aunt Sally, and your cousins are praying for you and your family! We are so grateful for your life, and we trust that God will use this trial for his good purposes.

I’ve been praying for y’all from 1 Peter 1:6-7. But I think it’s important to see the context of those verses. (The same goes for Romans 8:28, which by itself sounds like a good luck wish. The “good” in that verse is explained as becoming more like Christ Jesus, being certain that nothing can separate us from the love of God.)

“ Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.” 1 Peter 1:3-9
Yuko Nelson — 2/19/23
“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.””
‭‭John‬ ‭16‬:‭33‬ ‭

Much love & hugs ♥️
Rachel Johnston — 2/19/23
Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Love you all! The Johnstons are praying for sweet Deste. He will prevail.
Lee Berg — 2/19/23
Hope you got some sleep and are feeling better - it's a big adjustment and you got this!
Melissa Reasoner — 2/19/23
1 Peter 5:7 - “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
Psalm 63:6-8 “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.”

Please know Deste is being lifted up in prayer and y’all are deeply loved.
Kelly Schlunegger — 2/19/23
Psalm 91

In fact, a local friend of mine , Alison Broussard, sings this song beautifully. You might find it on Google.
Melissa Reasoner — 2/19/23
Alison’s version is so beautiful!

February 20, 2023

News update coming soon. Tim is attending rounds with Deste’s team here in the next few minutes. Its in these daily meetings that we get the meatiest news of Deste’s situation, medically speaking. So we will pass along that info to you as soon as we get it. Pls keep praying for our boy. 

I am still hanging back at the Ronald McDonald house, where we are being graciously housed, due to not wanting to share my stomach bug with anyone on the ICU floor. 

Christian music encourages and lifts my heart to God, and reminds me of where I put my hope. Our hope is not in the fabulous doct,or and nurse team assembled for Deste (although we sure are grateful for them! They are so awesome!!). It is not in his amazing friend support group (but we are so grateful for all of you who have visited, facetimed, sent messages and packages, etc. Please keep it up as it really encourages Deste!). It is not in his family  support circle, even though we are grateful to have one another to lean on! It is in our Lord and Savior, the mighty, able, loving, wise King of Kings. He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. He is everything. 
Here are some of the songs speaking those truths to my heart today. 




Rachel Milling — 2/20/23
Verses I have been leaning on…Isaiah 41:10, Philippians 4:6-7 and Lamentations 3:22-24.
Prayers for comfort, peace, strength and healing.
Rebecca Rouch — 2/20/23
I am a friend of Gena’s praying for Deste’ and your healing so you can get to him! Thank You for sharing how God has ministered to your heart in music. It certainly ministered to mine as well. Lauren and especially back in time with Rich Mullins! He does lead step by step and is still moving stones 🙌🏻🙌🏻
Grandma Dot and Pop Smith — 2/20/23
Linda we are praying for y'all. We ask for complete healing in Jesus name.🙏💜🙏 Love y'all, Dot Smith


February 20, 2023



February 20, 2023

More songs






Liz Murray — 2/20/23
We are praying for all in the Berg family as you journey with Deste.
Angie Ellis — 2/20/23
We love you! Lots of prayers gping up for you!
Cheryl Rich — 2/20/23
Prayers for Deste and the medical team.
Kali Brandt — 2/20/23
Continued prayers for Deste, his medical team and all of you!
Nicki Carlson — 2/20/23
I’m leaning on this song for my own reasons, and also praying it over yours. Deste is already the recipient of many miracles, and we are calling on God to DO IT AGAIN. He is faithful.

https://youtu.be/ZOBIPb-6PTc
Linda Berg — 2/20/23
Also i cant seem to make your link work. What song is it?
Linda Berg — 2/20/23
Hey Nicki! Text me and tell me what’s up! I am sorry to hear that you’re goin thru something hard, too.

February 21, 2023


Good morning, friends and family reading these updates! I do not have an update about Kizi for you yet. I'm still quarantined back at the Ronald McDonald house after my bout with the stomach bug. I feel sure I'll have some news to post soon. Meanwhile, thank you for your prayers for Desté. 


Dogs:
We do have one "need" that has popped up. Since we will be here for another 2 weeks or so...our dogs are getting a bit lonely.  We are blessed with amazing neighbors who have been checking in on them twice a day and feeding them, etc. But one of them especially, our little 19 year old terrier mix named Molly, needs a bit more people time. So we are looking for a couple week foster home who could take her in. The ideal family would be a homeschool family who is home a lot and who doesn't have other dogs (or who has dogs who would not mind a new one butting into their lives) but who has always wanted one. (In other words, the kids and mom would love on her and dote on her a lot - she is, after all, "the Queen", as we call her.) She is blind in one eye and kind of deaf. 
And we don't think she sees all that well in the other eye, either. She is actually pretty ugly and funny looking (Desté calls her "rat dog"), but she thinks she is beautiful, so please do not tell her any different! She is skinny and likes to sleep on pillows or very cushiony dog beds - preferably right next to someone on a couch or right next to the people bed on her own little dog bed pillow (you can use ours). She gets kind of smelly sometimes because her favorite past-time is to roll in gross smelling things. But she loves getting bathed in the kitchen sink if people think she smells too badly.

The other ideal foster home would be an elderly person who is home a lot, maybe watching t.v. and just wanting a companion. Most of Molly's days are spent sleeping, but she *needs* (wants) a person to sleep nearby. 

We have an offer already for our other crazy-fun-boisterous-overly friendly German Shepherd. But for Molly, I'm wanting/needing to find a home where she will be doted on and get to be the "star". If you think you may be able to do this, please comment below. I know this is kind of a big ask. 

These verses comforted me this morning 
from my room at McDonald House, wishing I could be with Desté:

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. Psalm 18:2

Lamentations 3:20-26

20I will never forget this awful time,

as I grieve over my loss.

21Yet I still dare to hope

when I remember this:

 

22The faithful love of the LORD never ends!b

His mercies never cease.

23Great is his faithfulness;

his mercies begin afresh each morning.

24I say to myself, “The LORD is my inheritance;

therefore, I will hope in him!”

 

25The LORD is good to those who depend on him,

to those who search for him.

26So it is good to wait quietly

for salvation from the LORD.

0 comments

February 28, 2023


Since the last post, Desté had a surgery scheduled for March 1 at 7 am to implant a impema device to help his heart pump better. A few hours after that was scheduled, doctors decided that we should go another route, and operate in 2-3 days instead if tomorrow, and implant a different device called a VAD3 device or a Heart Mate 3. 

Many have asked how we are doing right now. The answer? We feel overwhelmed and like we are caught up in a metaphorical tornado. If we did not have God to hold onto right now, We couldn’t bear this. 

Prayer requests:
  1. Complete healing of Deste’s heart. 
  2. For God to be a rock and an ever-present help and friend to and for Deste. 
  3. Wisdom and the best outcomes on all procedures for his entire medical team.
  4. Some kind of sign that Deste will see that God is here with him right now, that He sees, He knows, He cares, and He is still in control. 
Thank you. 


February 28, 2023

Sorry for the delayed update. The last 24 hours have been a lot. 

Here is the 10 am update from Dad/Dr. Tim:

A medical air team flew Deste and Linda to Houston last night. We arrived at Texas Children's Hospital in the Texas Medical Center about 11 pm. 

Not much rest last night, getting everything shifted over and lots of talking/noise. 
The intensivist team came early to explain what they’re thinking and the next steps. Lovely folks, caring and articulate and patiently discussing and taking questions. Huge team here, including fellows in training. 

They are concerned that he is requiring so much epinephrine to maintain his heart function and would like to gather more specific measurements of his cardiac function. 
They have placed an arterial line and have technology to indirectly measure his actual cardiac output and other parameters which influence that (like how much his peripheral arteries are contracted which causes resistance to blood flow). 
Also, they’re doing another Echocardiogram which will look more specifically at his valves and function. 

After gathering that information they will try to maximize his heart function with other meds in order to get off the epinephrine. 

Once again they have brought up the possibility of mechanical cardiac assistance. They’re not suggesting transplant but something that will improve cardiac function temporarily and buy time to determine whether his heart may recover enough to manage just with cardiac meds. 
One such device is called Impella. 

So, kinda disappointing to consider how severe his current function but so very grateful for the expert and compassionate care Deste is receiving. Also grateful for Deste’s attitude- he has remained  collected and amazingly patient with everyone and everything. 

Just praying …
for his healing, 
strength to endure this journey, 
and for hope. 

3:42 pm

Tim and I were just updated by one of Deste's doctors - wow, he has a LOT of doctors. She seems to be such a wonderful person in general and also seems crazy-smart and quite invested in her quest to help Deste. I guess they make everyone feel this special and important, but honestly, after listening to her talk, it felt like Deste was somehow THE MOST important person to her in the world, wide world, which is a really nice feeling for a mom to get from her kid's doctor.  Anyway, the news she shared wasn't what we wanted to hear, no matter how nicely she worded it. I'll let Tim summarize for you below. 

Dad's/Dr. Tim's report: 

Okay…
Some kinda bad news. After carefully observing Deste this morning our cardiologist has called an urgent conference with the Heart Center team. 

What they are seeing is two things- one of his valves (mitral) is leaking badly and on top of that, with his cardiomyopathy his heart is barely compensating with a very fast rate with only the slightest stress. So despite adjusting his meds they haven’t seen enough improvement and are recommending this urgent meeting today to consider whether surgical intervention is needed. Something is needed to assist the pumping function of the heart and sounds like it will only be a matter of which one.

On a lighter note.....

The second photo we posted with Deste drinking a specialty root beer as a shout out to his friends, Olivia and Addison Wrase, who sent his favorite drink to him just before we headed out to Houston. (And thanks to Mom, Elizabeth, for getting this to him as well.) The root beer provided much needed "sustenance" after many hours of nothing to eat or drink before the plane ride. Thanks, girls! 

 

This passage from the Old Testament prophet Habakkuk came to mind last night and fits even more today after the difficult news we heard today: 

 

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.

Habakkuk 3:17-19

E'Von
February 28, 2023
Praying for him and family. God is in the midst of it all.

February 21, 2023


Linda Berg

February 27, 2023

I just posted the daily update (see previous post) but now received this more medically descriptive and informative update from Tim. (Deste’s dad/my husband, Dr. Tim Berg, for those reading this who do not know us!)

From Tim:
Desté had a restful night and slept well (and still sleeping). His numbers show his kidney function and oxygenation delivery are good but had lower BP last night and they increased his epinephrine. They’ve also been noticing an increased heart rate - up to 150. It could be at least partly due to the meds he is on however it seems somewhat episodic (coming and going).  It has occurred with him just sitting in bed  but also with walking and sometimes with eating. Repeat EKG hasn’t show a definite arrhythmia but some are hard to detect because they look so similar to the normal heart rhythm. 

We are still waiting for his transfer and our doctor today said she’ll reach out to Texas Children’s personally.

February 27, 2023

Last night Desté’s heartrate went up pretty high (sorry but I dont remember the exact number) so doctors ordered another EKG. 
Later in the night, doctors requested another xray which was done about 2 am. 

Desté’s transfer to Houston was delayed again until about Wednesday. Not sure why, or what the EKG or XRay revealed. 

Even though his numbers were not optimal last night, Deste FELT pretty well. I think this was due to his big brother and sister hanging out with him. Much joking around and teasing (mainly goodheartedly teasing Mom, but this Mama definitely did NOT mind!!) and laughing and reminiscing. The saying is true: “A cheerful heart IS good medicine.” (Proverbs 17:22). 

Thanks for continuing to pray for our precious son, Desté. Please keep it up and please share his situation with anyone, any church, any Bible study group, any yourh group, any organization you know who prays. Share this site with them. Let’s be like that persistent widow in the Bible parable and ask, ask, and keep asking for total healing of Deste’s heart! 



I believe God has big plans for Deste and for his future on this earth before he goes on to an awesome, even better eternity in Heaven. My favorite Bible verse tells this truth from Jesus’ mouth - straight from the Big Guy himself, our brother, our FRIEND, the Holy One, our Savior - “The thief (the evil one, Satan 👿) comes to steal and kill and destroy; I (Jesus, the Holy One, our Savior) have come that they may have LIFE and have it to the FULL.” (John 10:10). 


Ask, Seek, Knock
Matthew 7:7-11

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!


*******

February 26, 2023

Deste’s heart rate has jumped up a good bit in the last half hour so another ekg was just ordered (they are doing it now). Not sure what is going on but more info soon! He seems to feel ok though, so thats good news!

February 26, 2023

I haven’t heard the medical report yet today, but as I prayed this morning, the lyrics of this song came to mind: 

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side. 

And nothing formed against me shall stand
You hold the whole world in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises

You are faithful
You are faithful
You are faithful

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind me
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine.

I am so thankful that Deste has the God of angelic armies fighting for him. That God is ALWAYS at his side. That God is at our side. He holds us and the whole world in His hands. And He is good. 

February 25, 2023

Headed to H-Town! 

Deste's doctor team here has decided they'd like for him to transfer to Texas Children's Hospital in the Houston Medical Center area. He has been "accepted" there, so we are now just waiting until a bed in their ICU opens up. The team here has been GREAT and we are so thankful, but evidently, Deste's situation complex and uncommon enough that the SA team feels he could be better helped by the team at Texas Children's. 

Currently, Deste is resting comfortably - sleeping a lot! - in his bed in his San Antonio hospital room. 

We will keep you posted when we hear more news. Thank you again for your love, your care, and most of all, for your prayers that God will completely restore Deste's heart to perfect working condition! 

February 24, 2023

From Tim: 

Medical report:
Desté had a good night, after finally coming to from the MRI he ate a decent late night supper (left over Chipotle’s) then slept well - no lab draws until 4am. He’s back asleep now. I noticed he’s lying down more now. 
All his numbers look good this am including the signs of perfusion (like creatinine and mixed venous O2)but he’s still on the IV meds supporting his heart function (Milranone and Epinephrine). MRI results still pending. 

His food intake is an issue. They’re saying they’ll start TPN (IV feeding with concentrated solutions) soon if not improved today. They’re reluctant to force feed the gut because they’re worried about poor gut perfusion. I’ll be trying to get him to eat more as TPN has its own set of complications. 

If Deste doesn’t improve enough to get off the IV meds he won’t be able to go home and will need to be transferred to higher level of care. (Houston or Dallas maybe Austin?) 

So today the cardiologist says they’ll reach out to the cardiologists there and present his case as a preliminary step for transferring and to request advice in management. 

Pray for Deste to eat better, and more nutritious food. For wisdom about next steps. 

I will reach out to a cardiologist in LA who treated our friend Adam Davis who had the the same problem. He is head of the Pediatric  Heart Failure clinic an LA children’s and can guide our choices in where we should go next.
Freya H Wendling
February 24, 2023
Kirsta Deboy
February 24, 2023

February 23, 2023

Today was a long, hard day. First, during morning rounds, we heard more bad news about oxygen stats in brain and kidneys and output and I don’t even know what all they said anymore. 

Then around 10:30 am, Deste had his 3rd or 4th echocardiogram in a week. This one was much longer. I watched it all but wasn’t sure what I was seeing.


Next, about noon, they came to get Deste to take him for an MRI of his heart. Getting him there was a whole thing. Pushing the bed and his medicine pole all over the place and just barely squeeing all that into the surprisingly narrow amd short elevator (We jokeingly wondered if they knew theyd be transporting patients in beds when they considered the elevator size???). It took about 40 minutes just to get him there and then the set up began for the test - another 20-30 minutes. Then the test itself was about 110 minutes long. In the middle of it, Deste pressed the emergency button, saying he felt nauseous. They were able to stop the mri somehow amd get him out of the tube just in time for him to throw up. Gave him some antiemetic (zofran) and after a while they were able to resume the test. He got back to his room, exhausted, about 4 pm or so. This kid is a trooper.

Maybe tomorrow or the next day we will hear news about these tests. 

I am discouraged and tired. 


i was texting a friend last night who I’d forgotten to tell about Deste. She had heard thru the grapevine. After talking about things a while, this is what I wrote. I don’t “feel” it now but I still KNOW it is true, and i will copy paste it here so last night me cn remind tonight me. And so last night me can remind anyone else. 

My friend Isabel had asked me how Deste was doing, and this is what I wrote, just 24 hours ago. Its amazing how frail our human emotions are! One night we are strong and have faith, the next we are barely hanging on. 


 It doesnt look good, to be honest. But The same God who raised Jesus from the dead, who raised Lazarus from the dead, who healed the blind, who stopped the woman's bleeding, who got Zaccheus to stop being a jerk and stealing people's money 😂, who parted the Red Sea, who saved Noah and his family in the flood, who shut the lions' mouths for Daniel.....that is Deste's God. That is our God. So we know He can heal Deste.”

Will you stand in the gap for us and pray your heart out for our Deste? Please comment and let me know if you prayed for him today and will pray tomorrow. Thanks.

Theresa Gentry And Kids
February 23, 2023
We want to see your bright shiny smile at spring break. I have already spoken to Stayleys folks, and so she should be here. Lela will be bringing her son Henry from Bastrop, Caymans 7 children, and Jaden. If you don't come here...I will bring them to you.

February 22, 2023

Deste's doctors have ordered an MRI of his heart. It is scheduled for sometime this afternoon. For medical reasons I don't understand, they want to put him under with anesthesia for the MRI. It's not due to anxiety or any concern of noncompliance as Deste has been a model patient and mature beyond his years throughout this ordeal. So, I'm really clueless as to why they'd want him under anesthesia for a painless procedure like this. It has something to do with his heart - that's all I know. 

We had a "good" night's sleep. In fact, Deste is sleeping now. His numbers are pretty low  (not in a good way), but the nurses said they've told the doctors and they are "on it". I'll know more after morning rounds when I see doctors. 

Thanks for praying for our son!

 

Lord, please help Deste's heart. 

In His steadfast love - Brenda & John
February 22, 2023
Thank you for letting us know about Deste. You and Tim have been so kind and thoughtful to our family. This is our pleasure; helping you in time of need. Hoping this is good for one night's lodging. The Westin off of I-10 & Wurzbach.
Cheryl Rich
February 22, 2023
Praying for you and with you for healing

Cool Happenings

I want to write down these things mainly so I will not forget them, but to share them with you, as well. As the days pass, the sobering reality of Deste's situation is starting to settle in - along with the knowledge that life may not be what we had dreamed it would be for him. This is not said to complain or to throw a pity party for ourselves or for him. But just to say, we are beginning to feel the weight of it all. 

At times like these, we need to see Jesus even more than we do on sunnier days. Or maybe that isn't true. We need to see Him no matter what kind of day we are having. And maybe the "good" days are spiritually way more dangerous for us, as we don't sense our urgent need of his strength, his kindness, or his love towards and for us. But wow, right now, we know we need Jesus. We need him desperately. And of course, we always have and always will - but it is only in these dark times when our spiritual eyes seem to be able to actually see our need. 

So, I want to write down these "cool happenings" I've experienced the last few days - so that on sunnier days, I won't forget the ways that Jesus showed up for us during this trial. 

Cool Happening #1: This happened the first day we knew something was wrong with Deste's heart, almost from the moment the doctor came in and said, "We found something on the CT. It isn't his appendix or his gall bladder - it's his heart. It is super large". As soon as she said that, a song I used to sing in Young Life back in the 1980s - a song I haven't thought about in absolutely AGES - started "playing" in my head. The words are: 

"He didn't bring us this far, to leave us.
He didn't teach us to swim, to let us drown.
He didn't build his home in us, to move away.
He didn't lift us up, to let us down."

Gosh, I hadn't thought of that song in decades, and here it was, playing in my head. It continued to "play" in my head for HOURS and hours, almost on a loop. It was almost annoying - that's how much I kept hearing the song! haha! Well, about 5 or 6 hours later, I was on the phone with some good friends, Dave and Angie, telling them I was on my way to Methodist Children's hospital with Deste, riding in an ambulance. Dave asked if he could pray for us and of course I said yes.

His first words were, "Father, we know you didn't bring Deste this far to leave him."

His next words were, "Father, will you reassure Linda and Tim of this?"

I almost jumped out of my skin! Will he reassure us? HE JUST DID! Dave prayed the exact words I'd been hearing in my head for hours: He didn't bring us this far to leave us. And of course Dave couldn't have known about the song in my head. But God did. 

Cool Happening #2: 
At the hospital, the nurses were trying to get a "PIC" line in so Deste could get his meds and multiple daily blood draws done. However, they were having pretty much difficulty getting one inserted. They had to use ultrasound guidance to find a vein, and all that jazz. Meanwhile, all those sticks hurt and he had just gone through the same thing at the first hospital! Because it needs to be a sterile procedure, they asked us to leave when inserting the PIC line, so we went down to the cafeteria and they promised to let us know when they were done. After 1.5 hours, we gave up on waiting and just returned to his room. In the hall outside, we discovered they had been trying the whole time but still had not gotten the PIC line in. I could see Deste's face through the window. Ugh. I said, "Y'all, we gotta pray right now for God to guide those nurses to the right vein. Bow your heads now and let's pray." So, we prayed just a very simple prayer, "Dear God, please let them get in - guide them to the right vein right now, Lord. Amen." And just like that, about 20 seconds after saying Amen, the triumphant nurses exited his room with a "We got it!" I just looked up and said, "Thank you, God. Thank you." 


Cool Happening #3: 

This afternoon, I took an Uber to the nearest Target to get some things for Deste. On the way over, the Uber driver asked me who I'd been visiting in the hospital (he picked me up there) and I told him we were staying there with our son who was in the ICU with heart problems. The guy had just parked his car. He turned around and looked at me and said, "God cares, you know." I said, "I know." He said, "Please give me his name. God knows it already, but I'd like to pray for him by name, if that's okay." 

It wasn't one of those casual "I'll pray for him" moments - it was a serious, intense, focused type statement. Like, I don't know if I'll ever hear from this person again, but I know we have another person praying for Deste - and he also said he'd be putting him on some prayer lists. So, how often do you get an Uber driver like that, one with such focus and boldness for God? 

Cool Happening #4: 

Hard to believe, but once I'd finished at Target, I used my Uber app again to get a ride back to the hospital. A different driver showed up. Same thing happened. He asked who I was going to see at the hospital since that was my destination. I told him and he said, "Oh wow, I know what that's like. My son had cancer three years ago. He was only 20. He's doing better now, though, praise the Lord. That was rough. To see your child sick like that, it's rough." I agreed. Then he said, "You know God cares about your son, right? He's not going to leave him."

(Gulp.)

"Yes, I know.", I said. "Thanks for the reminder, though." 

"It's easy to forget when times get tough, but don't forget, ya hear?" 

"I won't", I said. 

Then he offered me some of the gospel tracts he had posted in little holder things on the backseat of his car - he had them in English and Spanish. He used to be a full time trucker and turns out, they give thousands of these tracts out at truck stops all across the country. 6,000 truckers hand them out on their trips. Pretty inspiring. The man is a member of a prayer chain group with thousands of members and asked me to please write down Deste's name so he could add him to the prayer list of this group. 

Again - how many times do you get an Uber driver with this kind of a focused heart on God? And I got two in one afternoon! It takes too much faith for me to believe that was a coincidence. I believe God brought those Uber drivers to me. As George Strait sings, "I saw God today". 

These are just four of the ways I've seen God work in our situation so far. I'm trying to keep believing that He will show us Himself many more times - and that He will show Himself, His Wonderful Self, to many people we love and many we don't even know through this whole ordeal. And I'm praying that He will heal our precious son, Desté.

https://youtu.be/q06AvQF5NOw

February 21, 2023

From Tim: 
Tuesday morning update: 
Desté had a good night (Monday night, Feb 20) and rested well but is still fatigued and bored out of his gourd. Disappointing news from the cardiologist: need to restart the epinephrine. Markers which show perfusion indicate he didn’t tolerate it as well as they’d hoped. Nothing terrible but being a little worse means he still needs the   contractility support and can’t be switched to meds by mouth. So looking like another week minimum here. 
Florence Dunn — 2/21/23
Keeping Deste and all of your family in my prayers day and night. is there anything else I can do?
Terry Dunlap — 2/21/23
Just hearing about Deste’s illness. Lifting prayers for healing for Deste, strength for his family and wisdom and discernment for his doctors and nurses and other members of his medical team that are so vital for Deste’s journey back to good health.
Bobby Ward — 2/21/23
Praying for Deste and all of the rest of the Tim Berg family as well! ❤️
Donna Magee — 2/21/23
Hey, Deste! I know it gets old hanging out in a hospital! Hoping and praying ghe doctors can give you some good news soon. Know lots of people are thinking of you and sending our love and good thoughts and prayers! Donna and Dan Magee
Uncle Mike Muller — 2/21/23
Hey Deste !!! We are thinking of you here in Atlanta !!! Hope you find some good STEAM games ! Love from all of us here in ATL ! Uncle Mike Aunt Karen and Mikey and Lance

Comments

Popular Posts